What is lead?
Lead is a malleable type of metal that can be found deep within the ground. If lead is ingested in the human body, it can have harmful effects. Traces of lead can be found in our water supply, the air we breathe and the food we eat.
Adults and children need to be aware of lead poisoning because it can have serious detrimental effects on our bodies. Lead poisoning affects children much worse than adults because it causes damage to the central nervous system while it is still in development. It can also affect children’s learning ability and behaviour. Other health problems caused by lead poisoning are problems with reproduction in adults and damage to the kidneys. If exposure to lead continues over a long period of time, problems will health will continue to get worse.
Preventing exposure to lead poisoning is extremely important, especially for children. If you would like to protect your family from the harmful effects of lead in the water supply, you should give us a call today on (phone number), and we can book an appointment to have that harmful lead pipe removed.
Are lead pipes harmful?
Ingesting lead is bad for our health in a number of ways, but having a lead pipe does not necessarily make it harmful. Over time, a layer of oxidised metal forms on the inside layer of the pipe. The oxidised metal layer creates a barrier between the lead pipe and the water. In theory, the water in the pipe is not in direct contact with the lead. However, there are no guarantees that oxidised metal layer within the pipe is keeping you 100% safe from ingesting lead particles in your water supply. If you have a lead pipe, it is highly recommended you have it replaced.